Our initial Holistic assessment includes a complete psychological assessment and naturopathic assessment that covers emotional, psychological, biochemical, historical, spiritual and social causes of mental health issues. Specifically this includes talking face to face with one of our caring and supportive practitioners, followed by iridology photographs (a photo of your eye), several questionnaire screening tools (please note this not always done at the same time) and some times pathology testing may also be required.
After the Holistic Assessment our team sit down and discuss the results confidentially and develop a treatment plan that will specifically target the cause of your mental health issues and if required treat problematic symptoms also. Treatment is tailored to individual needs and causes but can include one or a combination of the following treatments:
- Various Counseling and Psychotherapy approaches (a Medicare rebate is now available for some types of Counseling and Psychotherapy)
- Various Body Therapies
- Nutritional and Herbal Medicine
- Therapeutic Life-Style Advice
- Neurofeedback and Brain Training
- Mind-Body Medicine
It is also worth noting that even though we believe drug therapy can be a useful strategy in a small number of cases, we believe it should be the last option due to the side effects of these treatments and not the first as it is so commonly used in mental health care. However most of our clients never need to go on medication or find they can come off existing medication during treatment at Active Mind and Body.
Some of the conditions that we have found respond very well to our approach include the following:
- Panic Attacks
- Developmental Trauma (past emotional, physical or sexual abuse)
- Current Trauma (for example victims of crime or survivors of natural disasters)
- Grief and Loss
- Addictions (drugs, alcohol and food etc)
- Medical conditions with a psychological / emotional cause or component
- Stress and Burn out
- Anger Issues
If you are interested in taking a holistic approach to your mental health issues we recommend you call Dean on 0419013403 to make an appointment.
Active Mind and Body